Sunday, October 26, 2008

My Homemade Chicken Pot Pie

I wanted to make us some comfort food, that warmed our insides and filled the house with the smell of freshness! Plus, all I had was chicken at the house, so I crafted the idea of Homemade Chicken Pot Pie! Now, I have never actaully made chicken pot pie, so I Googled a few recipes. However, I didn't find anything that seemed perfect to me. They all seemed too difficult or to simple. So, I just took a few ideas from other recipes I had found and created my own. Here is the recipe, but you too could play with mine and make your own creation!





Ingredients:
4 Chicken Breast Cooked and Diced(or 2 LARGE breast)
1 cup potato, diced
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup celery, diced
1 cup chopped carrot
1 cup frozen peas
1/3 cup butter
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper



Ingredients for Pie Crust:
2 cups of all-purpose flour
1 cup of shorting
1 tbsp. salt
1/2 of cold water



Directions: Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
1. Saute potatoes, onions, carrots, and celery with butter(10 minutes)
2. Add Flour to sauteed mixture, make sure you cover all veggies with flour
3. Combine milk and chicken broth to mixture, stir well until thick and bubbly!
4. Stir in S & P, then diced chicken
5. Right before adding mixture to pie dish, add frozen peas, stir.



Directions for Crust:
1. Take the 2 cups of flour and salt and cut shorting into it, until turns crumbly.
2. Add Water, needing it slowly until dough forms.
3. Make ball, then divided into 2 even balls.
4. Roll out each dough balls(one for bottom of pie dish and one for top)



Once you have placed pie crust into dish, pour mixture into it. Place top pie crust on mixture, pressing edges with fork. Cut slits in top to allow steam to escape. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until crust is golden brown!

No comments: