Thursday, September 23, 2010

After Delivery nightmare

***Warning-this is a little detailed and gross!***

Like I said in the earlier post, I had complications after having Breelynn, and I made the decision to make it 'public' and tell my story in hope to maybe help someone else that may go through the same thing, or so I don't have to keep telling the story(over and over-reliving it makes me cringe/cry). Breelynn will one day read this story and know what I went through and how special she is to me.

4 hours after having Breelynn I started to bleed uncontrollably. My blood started to clot in grapefruit sizes and they couldn't figure where the bleeding was coming from. To put it bluntly.

I knew something wasn't right after I had set in the hospital bed and felt myself passing 'large' clots. I asked the nurse to come in and help me to the bathroom and that's when everything soon as I stood up I could feel the clots start coming out. Once I got the bathroom the grapefruit size clots continued. The nurse started pushing on my belly and things just got worse from there. I started to panic at this point and asked the nurse if this was normal and if I was going to be okay! She looked at me at one point and says, "Ok, I am going to be honest with you, this isn't normal, but we are going to figure this out."

Yea- I started to shake and freak out at this point. They put me back on the bed called in more nurses and the Doctor(which mine came in on Friday night, she wasn't even on call, thank God-as soon as I saw her I started to cry and thanked her for coming in on her weekend off) and started to work on me, trying to find the source of the bleeding.

I never stopped shaking (uncontrollably) for the 2 hours they searched for the source of bleeding. I basically had my inside searched and cervix turned over! At this point I had lost so much blood that I could feel myself getting weak.

They thought maybe it could have been some of the placenta left inside, but they couldn't find anything. Then they thought my cervix could have torn, but once they check it over and over, finding nothing. Then they started talking about taking me into the O.R. and I basically lost it, begging them not too! I actually said, "Please don't take me to the OR!!!"

The Doctor said the blood had to atleast slow down, so they gave me medicine in a very uncomfortable place to help slow the bleeding. It seems to work after 2 hours, but they wanted me to watch me closely because I had lost so much blood. If my blood count didn't come back up( was at a 7-normal people count is at 13), they wanted to do a blood transfusion. Ofcourse, I didn't want a transfusion! Are you kidding me!?!?! So they placed me on iron pills(which I am still on), gave me more meds to stop the bleeding, and watched/woke me up every 3 hours all night and the next day. I should of been able to go home on Saturday, but they didn't want me to go home quiet yet because all my counts where still low and I wasn't still feeling like myself yet.

After all night of bleeding I only passed a few more clots that were golf ball size-which is normal and I should have done in the first place.

They never actually figured out, for sure, what caused all the bleeding, but they had an idea.
I was really only in active labor for 3 hours and pushed Breelynn out so fast that my body wasn't able to discard all the blood it needed too, so it started to clot on my cervix. I got my last dose of my epidural so late, so I couldn't move or walk for a longer period of time after the delivery. Making all the blood to clot.

I am still not myself...I can still feel the side-effects of all the blood loss and they have me on a bunch of medicine(still-ugh) to help rebuild my blood count and help heal everything 'down there' because with them working on me, made my healing process a little(a lot) harder!

I will say, I have had nightmares about the whole thing and still can't get the images of all the blood out of my head. I just never thought something like this would happen to me and honestly I kept telling Ben if something happened to me, take care of my girls. I was scared shitless!

I hope this wasn't to graphic, but I did want people to know what happened and know that even in a situation where you think the worst, trust in your caretakers and in the Lord that everything will be okay. I will say I kept asking, out loud, for God to please take care of me and watch over me through everything. He did and I am grateful. Thank you to Ben who stayed by my side-even though he can't stand blood and all that 'gross' stuff. He was strong for me when I was weak. He kept looking in my eyes, telling me everything was going to be alright.


Just Beachy said...

thanks for sharing , not too graphic , my god that must have been a nightmare I can't imagine , I am so glad you are ok , I wish you speedy healing.

~ Dawn ~ said...

OMG....I had the same thing happen to me but 2 weeks after I had my son. I hemmmoraged. I was home and the clot came out and blood was everywhere and couldn't get it to stop. Not a pretty sight and my poor carpet!! Hubby called 911 and I got rushed to the hospital. My poor 4 year old baby girl saw the whole thing and was tramatized. I had to go into surgery and stay in the hospital for a few days. I had lost so much blood and was weak for so long after all this.

Anyways, I so know what you feel and know how scary it is. I am so sorry this happen to you and I am praying for a speedy recovery.

Heather said...

Glad everything turned out okay. God is good and He does hear us when we cry out to Him! Let me know if you need anything.

Stephanie said...

Brandy, thank you for sharing. I starting balling when I read this. I know you had to be so scared but the Lord was there watching over you!! And little Brock knew you needed to be here with Ben & the girls. ;-) love you Brandy and thank you for sharing this experience with us!! :-)