Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Glucose Test

As I mentioned in my last post I failed my glucose test. Well this Monday I had to do my 3 hour test, which went A-W-F-U-L!

I knew that I was going to have to get my blood drawn 3 times, but I was was 4! Within the first hour, I started to feel weak. I knew something wasn't right and as I pulled into the parking lot(for my 2nd drawing of blood), I started to have tunnel vision, my arms and legs became numb, and I started to lose my hearing.

Let me also tell you that I had Blakely with me. I knew I needed to get inside the Doctors office because I had Blakely with me. What was going on was I started to faint. I was trying to make myself get up(I had reclined my sit in me car at this point because I couldn't control anything at this point) because I didn't want Blakely to be alone or watch me go through what I was going through.

I finally got up and started to walk around to Blakely's side of the car but I started to feel weak again and I fell to my knees as I opened the car door. I laid on the ground hanging outside of my car with my child saying, "Mommy what's wrong? Mommy what's wrong?". I was just trying to not close my eyes, so I wouldn't pass out. I reached my hand up and unsnapped Blakely's car seat and told her she had to get out and walk with me quickly inside. As soon as I walked in door, a nurse came to get me with a wheel chair. I think someone must of seen me fall outside and told someone. My blood pressure as 88/50 and I was white as a ghost.

My friend Aimee came up there to be with me and another friend came up to pick up Blakely and Aimee's daughter so they didn't have to watch everything that was going on. I started to faint again while I was in the room. It was just the most awful day! I wanted it to end.

After staying at the Doctor's for 2 and a half hours and getting to Glucose Test finished(I made myself stay because I didn't want to have to return to do it again), I ate something immediately and started to feel better with in seconds.

I did get my results back yesterday and my sugar was high the first and second hour, but the third hour it had returned to normal. Which just means, that my body is still processing sugars, but it is doing it slower and I have to be on a low-sugar/low-carb diet. So, no diabetes for me! YAY!

I just honestly never thought I would go through something like this and never thought I would ever feel that way! I feel bad for anyone that has to deal with gestational diabetes or any type for that matter! I never knew my body would react that way to sugar!

I did manage to lose 3lbs. Breelynn's still very active and her heart beat is still 140 a minute! She is healthy!

1 comment:

Mary Beth said...

Wow! It amazes me to think of what we can do as mothers. If you had not had Blakely, you would have probably completely passed out in the parking lot. But you held it together against all odds because of her. Amazing! You have some super - mommy powers there!
I'm so sorry that you went through all of that. What a terrible feeling. I'm glad you don't have to go through gestational diabetes.
I wish you a happy-rest-of-pregnancy!